Monday, June 28, 2010

Yellowfield 7.... DELIGHTFUL!


The 20's have always inspired me. Not only do the 20's inspire me, so do the 30's, 40's, and all those years in between up until the 60's. If I could take a time machine back, or have a genie come to me with 3 wishes- one of them would be to live back during that time period. Just the style and the way things were back then is breathtaking. No annoying cell phones, text messages, and a million other technological things pulling us in all directions. Life was simple. People looked forward to hand written letters coming in the mail, and something as simple as a stroll through the neighborhood.

My great grandparents met at the end of the 30's. My grandmother had come to visit some friends in Idaho (she was from Utah). She was walking down the street after church and one of her heels broke. My great grandpa happened to be driving by right when this happened and pulled over to help her. He had heard there was a beautiful girl in town visiting, but had no idea this was her. They got to talking and he started to call her Utah girl. It was love at first site. He fixed her shoe for her, and then asked her to dinner. The rest is history. They eloped in the summer of 1941. My great grandma (Esther) was only 18, and so they didn't want to tell their parents. After eloping, they both went their separate ways- he back to Idaho and she back to Utah. They communicated through letters for 2 months before they finally let their families know they were married! My great grandmother told me before she passed that her Mother had known the entire time, just from the way she had been acting. I guess even then it was hard to keep things from you're parents.

When my Bestemor passed (Bestemor means great grandmother in Norwegian) I was able to get some of her jewelry as well as some fabrics she had collected over the years. These will always be special treasures to me. One thing I wish she would have kept was the old hats she used to wear.

A few months back I came across a website of a woman who makes 20's inspired hats! I was so excited because they reminded me of my great grandmother and something she would have worn. The name of her line is Yellowfield 7. Her elegant hats can be found here. They are quite expensive, but totally worth it! She has said on her site that each hat takes her between 15-20 hours to create. In turn it will fit you're pretty little head perfectly like a glove.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

Kiersten


No comments:

Post a Comment